Spontaneous DIY Pin Cushion!

Jul 22, 2013

 
My little sewing nook in the new house is finally coming together! With some free time the other day, I  whipped up a new pincushion for my desk. 
Now I can stop hunting for pins whenever I go to make something :)

Just in case any of my imaginary readers want their own little pincushion, here's how to make one!



Materials 

  •  Fabric from your stash
  • Sewing machine 
  • Needle and thread
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Wadding/stuffing, or, I used a pile of little scraps from past projects! 
  

Instructions

From your fabric, cut one long strip and two circles.

Make sure that that the longest sides of your strip have the same measurement as the circumference of your circles, plus seam allowance. (If you hate math, just curl the strip around, short sides slightly overlapping, and trace the rough circle that forms!)

Press your pieces flat (like I should have!).

Stitch together short sides of your strip and press seam allowances apart.

Pin together strip and first circle as evenly as you can, with right sides facing.

Carefully stitch around edge of circle, removing pins as you go.

Pink or clip edges and press.

Repeat with second circle, leaving a large gap for turning right-side-out and stuffing.

Turn right-side-out and press.

Push stuffing or fabric scraps through the gap until your cushion is nice and plump.

With a needle and thread, slip-stitch the gap closed.

Stab it full of your favourite pins, and you're done!




No comments:

Post a Comment